The moment a lot of people have been waiting for, an episode of Doctor Who that tells the true historic story about the discovery of the Cystic Fibrosis gene in 1989 and the revolutionary treatment made as a result, which includes the most recent miracle drug, Kaftrio, which is currently the closest to a cure for Cystic Fibrosis.
Whilst the Doctor is in a video call with his recent travelling companion, Chris, who has Cystic Fibrosis, the video call is cut off when the console alarms with a time paradox alert. Not all is as it seems. When Chris later shares a friend’s home-made film with the Doctor, the film reveals why the Cystic Fibrosis community were targets of a deadly attack by the Doctor’s enemies.
- The video blog in the pre-title is real and was made by Chris Strand. His channel is ChrisVSCysticFibrosis
- Robin Burchill reprises his role as the voice of the Master. His channel is RobinGBurchill
- The working title for this was Doctor Who – M508D.
- M508D is a common mutation of the Cystic Fibrosis gene.
- As stated in the episode, the Cystic Fibrosis gene, known as CFTR, was discovered by Lap-Chee Tsui, which opened doors for better treatments that has improved the quality of life and life expectancy of Cystic Fibrosis people, which includes the most recent drug, Kaftrio.
- Kaftrio is currently the closest to a cure for Cystic Fibrosis.
- The film Chris shares with the Doctor is Genesis of a Time Lord, a film made 2003, which tells the story how Time Lords came up with Cystic Fibrosis as a myth that allowed Time Lord refugees to live safely on Earth when a Time War broke out on their home planet Gallifrey.
Genesis of a Time Lord can be watched in full here:
The full story of Genesis of a Time Lord can also be downloaded for reading here: